Saturday, May 19, 2012

London trip!!

Hello lovely blog followers,
OMG. O. M. G.!!! I went to London on Thursday and it was SO. FREAKING. AWESOME! Our first stop was The British Museum, and it was just so absolutely amazing. I can't even put into words how awesome it was. I was floored by all of the stuff they had. I saw parts of the Parthenon, statues from the Mausoleum at Halikanarssos (sp?), Egyptian everything, Mummies, etc etc etc. It was so so incredible and amazing. We also managed to make it to the Tower of London, where I saw...(drum roll)....ANNE BOLEYN'S BURIAL PLACE!!! SO AWESOME! Also just being there knowing that she was once there was just...incredible. I was so humbled. Also got to the see the site of the scaffold she and many others would have been executed on which was just really humbling as well. We saw graffiti on the walls inside one of the towers where prisoners had carved their names, which was a bit eerie but very cool. It was so human and really took me back in time. We had an amazing day there and I hope I get to come back someday with Thomas so he can see the amazing things I saw. Yesterday we went to the Business archives at Glasgow University and took a look at the collections they have from New Lanark, which included Robert Owen's original diary (so awesome), visitor logs, account books, wage tickets, etc. What was really fascinating was all the different kinds of cotton they were trading, and the places they were trading with, which included India, Surinam (sp?), Guadalupe I believe, and many others. The good news we gathered from all of this is that I will have a wealth of sources to work with which is really exciting to find out, and I'm excited to get started. I will try to post some pics of London later. (Bad news Shayna: We could not take pictures inside the chapel where Anne is buried.) Internet has been dodgy so, I'll do my best to keep you all updated. Stay tuned lovelies! ---Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment