Thursday, May 24, 2012

Good Day

Hello lovely blog followers!,
I had a pretty good day today! I did some search room work, and then Jane wasn't feeling well so she took me into town because I had a few things to do and she went home to rest before her dancing show tonight. We also met up with Jane's old "flat-mate", gave her the Reader's Digest version of New Lanark and ate lunch. It was fun. But anywho, so I went into town and I went to the salon because let's just talk about my hair for a second. My hair was massive. It was so thick that it was basically the shape of a triangle, and aside from that, it is ROASTING hot outside, and I was basically miserable. So I went to get a haircut. They washed my hair, gave me a head and neck massage afterward, and cut my hair, all for 15 pounds. They did a fabulous job! I love my hair now. So I'm excited about that. Okay back to official blog business. So after that I walked around Lanark by myself, bought some groceries, and caught a cab back down to New Lanark. I was productive today. Also, I'm getting a tan. Very quickly. Two days of sitting outside at lunch/walking around, and I already have a tan on my chest and on my arms (through my cardigan mind you). I'm also pretty sure when I take my shoes off tonight I will have tan lines from where the straps crossed over my feet. Shockingly hot weather. Last week, miserable. It was freezing! Sleet and rain were coming down in buckets. Now? So hot and sunny, it's unbelievable. Today in the search room, all I worked on was a term pick list for the catalog records. Basically, we are trying to come up with a set list of terms we will use to identify things, and also a set list of terms that we want people to use on the catalog record in the different fields that there are to fill in. Tomorrow, I will begin to go through all of their "archived" (i.e. sitting in a filing cabinet organized by theme) material to see what there is so that I know what terms we will even need to consider using. Tomorrow evening I'm going to Jane's dancing show, and this weekend I'm free. Next week on the 30th, I will be going to Edinburgh with Gordon, the world heritage site coordinator (I'm pretty sure that's his title) and Jane to visit the Historic Scotland offices, the Royal Commission offices, and Edinburgh Castle on the Royal Mile. Then on Monday the 4th, I will be going to Loch Lommond and Glencoe (apparently the most beautiful Glen in all of Scotland) and that night is Lanimer Marches, but we'll see how tired I am. The 6th is all who are involved with the search room's trip to Edinburgh to the National Museum and the Archives. The 7th is Lanimer day with Jane, starting at 7:30 am. Oh Lord. Much much MUCH more to come. :) After tomorrow 28 days left. Stay tuned lovelies! --Catherine

2 comments:

  1. Hello Catherine,
    This is Connie Weinzapfel, director of USI's Historic New Harmony. I look forward to meeting with you when I arrive on June 5. It sounds like everyone is being very welcoming to you. I wish I had had the incredible opportunity you've been given when I was your age...I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to seeing you too! They have been very welcoming! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete